Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Noah Hatchwin (Dickens caricature)

I walked into the church, knowing I should be grieving, for my sister was dead. Mrs. Joe Gargery had died of a heart failure a week back. I had not been back to visit once since I encountered my great fortune. I received Joe’s letter only yesterday requesting my presence, and of course the only polite thing to do was to attend.

Joe was the first person I spotted in the large space, sitting on the front bench. He was pointedly ignoring me I realized. Who was the boy beside him, fidgeting in his seat either from excitement or nervousness? The door clanged shut behind me and the boy turned around, then sprung out of his seat upon seeing me. He was a scrawny boy, I noticed, of perhaps 11 years of age. He did not look particularly tall with lots of dusty brown hair badly in need of cutting. He walked right up to me as if we could somehow have been dear friends and asked.

“Pip?” In a high pitch voice which did not altogether fit his appearance.

I nodded once in surprised response so he continued.

“The names Noah, Noah Hatchwin. Joe did told me so many stories about you, being a grand scholar and all, but growing up in this here village.”

A wave of confusion ran through my mind, how could the boy know Joe. Although it must have been apparent on my face for the boy’s expression turned downcast, and all of the sudden looked painfully in keeping with the funeral.

“I never knew my father, for he left when I was only a year, my mother died of influenza a while back. Beggar on the streets I was and still would be I’m sure if not for kind Joe taking me in. Well, so glad to be meeting you after all this, sorry for the circumstance” He said as he returned to the ever unmoving Joe.


-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment